Grandson of the late legendary Colin Hayes AM. O.B.E., and nephew of Hall of fame trainer, David Hayes, Tom Dabernig grew up with racing in his blood.
Tom is a third-generation horse trainer and a family member of one of the most successful racing families in the world. Born on the 19th April 1976 and raised at the famous Lindsay Park property in Angaston, South Australia, Tom grew up learning all the facets of the family business under the watchful eye of the late Legendary Colin S. Hayes.
In his formative years he worked closely with his grandfather, before working full time at the property. Tom’s mother Jan, is CS Hayes’ daughter and Tom’s father Arthur, worked as Lindsay Park’s Stud Master. Arthur worked at Lindsay Park for 39 years.
- 1993 – Joined the Lindsay Park racing team, working in the Angaston Stable.
- 1999 – worked for leading trainers in both England and Ireland.
- 2004 – obtained his trainer’s licence.
- 2014 – entered into a training partnership with David Hayes
- 2017 – Winner, Racing Victoria Fred Hoysted Medal
- 2019 – Victorian and Metropolitan Trainers’ Premiership
- 2020 – became head trainer of Lindsay Park.
- 2020 – awarded leading trainer of the 2020 Flemington Spring Carnival. The highlight being Group 1 Victory with the VRC Oaks 3yo filly Personal.
- Between 2014 to 2020, the training partnership won 19 Group One Races.
2021 – Tom made the decision to establish his own business and relocated to Warrnambool, Victoria in an exciting new chapter. Tom has the experience and desire to continue to evolve as a trainer. He is passionate about the country environment as a preferred place to train horses and is eager to incorporate the beach and all of the facilities that Warrnambool has to offer into his training regime.
© 2022 Bennett Racing